Pages

Tuesday 6 May 2014

TIME CAPSULE - A letter to myself

Hey everyone, and twenty three year old me (wow, that's old). I was watching a video of Laci Green's today where she created a sort of time capsule for herself five years ago and recently watched the video back to answer her own questions. I thought it seemed like such a great idea so I wanted to do one now but in blogging form. If any of you guys want to do this too, please do! Leave me the links to your post and I'll take a look at it. I think it's going to be so interesting. The main part is, however, not to read this post until five years' time. I don't know if I can do that, if I can restrain myself, but let's see. Let the fun begin! (Questions taken from here)


  • Where are you now?
I am sat on the Oscar sofa in my living room, alone. Mum, dad, and Heike are in the kitchen, and Henry is upstairs. I've just got off the phone with Lola - she was telling me about that charity worker guy she met in London a few days ago, who she saw again yesterday.

  • What is the date? What is the weather like?
It's currently 9.21pm and the date is 6th May 2014. It's been kind of sunny today, kind of cloudy. No rain, except for when I went for a run this evening. It was bright and sunny, yet it was raining.

  • What’s the last movie that you saw? What was the last movie that you loved?
I can't remember at all. I'm sitting here racking my brains and I have no clue. I love a lot of chick flicks, but I think maybe Inception was the last film to really make me go woah.

  • What are you listening to on your iPod?
My iPod is currently sitting upstairs, totally uncharged, but I really like Haim right now. This is what I've been listening to all day, though.

  • Who are you in love with?
I'm not really sure I believe in love but I have fancied the same guy for like nine or ten months now which is crazy. It's Tom.

  • Who is your best friend?
Beautiful Lola. I'm going to be so upset if we aren't best friends when I next read this post.

  • What do you wish you could own right now?
A sheet of paper with fabulous A level results on it to take to Chester so I can go there.

  • What do you want your next vacation to be?
We're going to Zante next month and Latitude in July. A lad's holiday and my first festival seem like pretty good holidays to me, but I'd love to go back to Amsterdam.

  • What are you most worried about?
I'm terrified of not getting what I need to go to Chester for uni. I know I should be revising more, I'm not stupid. I'm just so worried about failing my exams.

  • What is one amazing thing you expect to do in the coming year?
I expect to go to uni and (in a sense) move out and start living independently.

  • What is your favorite recent memory?
I'm struggling a bit with this one. It might be Wonderland the day after my birthday with Nick, Lola, and Tom. Perhaps the bit where we killed some time in McDonald's beforehand and laughed a lot.

  • What were the top 3 accomplishments from the last year?
Getting semi-decent AS grades, applying to and getting accepted at five universities, and getting my first job... at McDonald's! Do I still work there in 2019? There's a question.

  • What made you laugh the hardest most recently?
I really can't remember! Probably something with Lola where we laughed until we cried and/or wet ourselves.

  • What are you best at?  What do you think are you greatest assets and skills?
I think I'm quite rational. I'd like to think I'm a good friend and a good sister, daughter, grandaughter, niece. I read something today that you shouldn't define a woman merely by her relationships with other people, but that's the thing that makes someone important to you, so defining myself by the relationships I have with other people seems okay to me. Does that make any sense?

  • What are your life goals at the moment?   Did you make any progress on them?
My only life goal right now is to get okay enough A levels to get to uni. I haven't really thought much beyond that. Isn't it sad how much my life only really revolves around school right now?

  • How much do you think gas will cost at the end of next year? In 5 and 10 years?
I just looked up the average petrol price in the UK. I think it's £1.275 per litre. That sounds about right. I don't drive, so I don't really have a clue about these things. Will I be driving by the time I next read this? I hope it doesn't go above £2 per litre in the next ten years. That would be crazy.

  • What are your wishes for the upcoming year?
I've said it many times: go to uni, and hopefully not fail while I'm there. I want to make new friends there, get a new job, and try not to get fat. I think I also want to try out blonde hair - just to see! - and maybe get it cut a lot shorter.

  • What do you think you will be doing this time next year?  In 5 and 10 years from now?
I hopefully will be studying for exams at the end of my first year, a year from now. In five years, I'll be twenty three and will have graduated two years previously, so I'd like to think I'll have an okay job and that I won't still be living at home! In ten years, it would be nice to have a flat or a house with a potential husband, maybe with a baby on the way. That's kind of cringy to write, but really all I want to do now is get married and have children!

  • What do you think will change about you over the next year?  How do you want to grow?
I hope I become a nicer person. I am trying, really I am, but I want to be as nice to everyone as Livvie is (will I even remember who she is when I next read this?!). 

  • Where will you be living next year?  In 5 and 10 years from now?
I hope I'll be living on Cheyney Road this time in 2015 but that's not really my decision, so who knows? In five years, maybe in a cute flat share with some friends; in ten years, hopefully with aforementioned potential husband.

  • What is one piece advice would you give your future self?
Stay happy. Are you still happy, 2019 me? Don't let go of the people who care about you because they might be kind of hard to find later.

  • What is your purpose in life?
I hate this question. Nobody has any purpose but I just want to try and be as good a person as I can and not mess up too much.


*


My current weekly routine is school everyday from Monday to Friday. I run in the evenings with Dad twice a week, either Monday and Wednesday, or Tuesday and Thursday. I try to do Parkrun on Saturdays when I can - I'm at 52 right now! I still lead at Brownies; it's been four years and six days now, and I made my adult leader promise last Friday. I work eight hour shifts at McDonald's on Saturday and Sunday, so I make about £70 in a weekend, which isn't that bad. I have a lot of fun there.


At school, my closest friends are Lola and Eliza, but we all hang out with Alisha, Izzie, Jenny, Alex C, Will, Oli, Alexa, and sometimes Toni. Will I even remember who all these people are? Do I still talk to Milan? To Tom? What about Matt Brett? Alex Lane? Have I travelled a bit more and actually ventured outside of Europe?


I'm pro-choice. Is that going to change over these next five years? I hope not. When I'm home alone, I wear tracksuit bottoms and a hoody. Today, my skirt buttons popped open when the delivery men came to drop off Mum and Dad's new metal garden furniture. I feel quite content right now.


This is what I look like now. How will my face have changed by when I next read this?


Will I still be a size 12? (Please god!) Will I still believe in God?


Okay. The next time I read this, I'm going to be twenty three years old, and as much as that's terrifying, it's also so exciting.

1 comment:

  1. (oh no i wrote a comment and then my internet forgot how to publish)
    anyway, i said i wanted to do a similar thing but on paper, cuz i'm old-school like that ;)
    the years u're living are so crucial, you will change so much and so quickly you have no idea. the 17yo me seems like a different person compared to the 23yo me. not to mention the twenty-something me that i am now!! so don't worry about the size, try your best to reach your goals and you won't regret anything :)

    ReplyDelete