Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2013

G o o d b y e . 2 0 1 3 .

Let's just take ourselves back to the end of last year. I was happy, and bumbling along through life. 

- I'd only been doing my AS levels for a couple of months.
- I had a great group of friends.
- I didn't know how to dress myself.
- I played football every week.
- I had good skin.
- I fancied my best guy friend.
- I lived off my parents.
- Uni seemed a long way off (what even was a personal statement?!)


Now we're a year on, but I'm still me, I'm still happy, and still bumbling along through life.

- I'm happy with my AS grades from the summer and am working on A levels (God help me please).
- I still have a great group of friends which is ever-growing, and always for the better.
- I like to think I've found more of a personal style now, one which I'm happy with.
- I no longer play football but I run three times a week and did my first 10k race last Friday.
- My skin has deteriorated but I don't think I mind much.
- I don't fancy my friend anymore but we're still close; he's in a very happy long term relationship and I'm venturing into the world of dating (how alien).
- I'm earning my own money working at McDonald's which makes me feel so great.
- I actually wrote a personal statement and got accepted at all five of my universities! Considering that one year ago, I didn't even have a long-list of unis, that's pretty cool.


I wasn't exactly sure how to structure this post but I feel like a want to do a monthly highlights thing, so let's get started on that.

January: I bought a beautiful dress and wore it to a party where I met a really cute guy who I kissed and haven't seen or spoken to since. Living it up, huh? I made the decision to donate blood (the act of which occurred at a later date). I discovered Dodie Smith and incense in Camden, and also wrote a particularly scathing review of The Fault In Our Stars.

February: I tried my first TGI Fridays meal and was so bloody impressed. I cried at Les Mis. I went to Amsterdam, now my favourite city, and I'm desperate to go back. I also met up with my first internet person, Jess, and we had a fab shopping trip together. I drowned in school work and I'm still not out of that deep sea of endless essays.

March: I went to the most bloody boring lecture on the Russian Revolution and fell asleep there. After nine years of playing football, I got my first proper injury from it. I dressed up as my favourite book character, Jeane Smith, for World Book day. To top it all off, I had my first "date" with a guy I'm not in contact with anymore, so you can see how well that went. I also narrowed down my potential unis to a list of about fourteen.

April: I met a guy (possibly my soul mate) on Omegle and then met him in Camden two and a half days later. We got on so well I considered eloping to Hawaii with him and never returning. I turned seventeen the next day. This was also the month I began revising for my exams and I hated every minute of it. I played my last ever football match and cried a lot.



May: Revision stepped up a notch. I had six AS exams within the space of ten days and felt horribly stressed for the first three weeks of May due to that. I read some more Dodie Smith and fell in love with I Capture The Castle (blog name inspiration, perhaps?). I met my pen pal, Abdullah, and we've emailed a couple of times a week ever since.

June: I went back to school after a blissful couple of weeks of freedom. I also visited three universities and took a particular liking to Chester. I donated blood for the first time and it was so great knowing that I might have made a huge different to someone's life. I got really excited about summer.

July: I went on an overnight trip to Cambridge with some of my best friends and had two of the best days of my year. I also went to one of the best parties of this year, followed by two more parties which weren't quite as good. We broke up from school and I went with my family to Cornwall for a week.



August: I was a mentor for the National Citizen Service and began "dating" a fellow mentor. We hung out a lot and went out to a lot of places. I also went to Germany with my family for a week. The biggest milestone, however, was applying for, having an interview for, and getting a job at McDonald's. August was a crazy month, but a bloody good one.

September: I started back at school and had my first shift at McDonald's, which I loved. I went on more dates with aforementioned mentoring guy, and also discovered Polyvore which is a godsend! I wrote a very long post about the internet guy and felt much better about the whole situation which had begun to make me feel a bit crappy.

October: I decided to end things with the guy I was seeing but we stayed friends. I became increasingly obsessed with Polyvore. I began to feel like life was a bit empty and I wasn't entirely happy, but I did get to read The Bone Season which is a book that's going to stay with me for a long time, and which lifted my mood considerably.



November: This month saw me send off my uni application and get accepted to all five of them, which I felt was a huge achievement. I snapped out of my sad mood from the previous weeks and decided to take part in the 2014 Blogger Challenge. I went to my best friend's party-for-the-hell-of-it too and had the best night there.

December: I drowned a bit more in schoolwork and cried over a few essays, but I also bought some new clothes and really got into the Christmas spirit. Previously mentioned mentor guy and I rekindled our burnt out flame (lol) and started hanging out again. I had one of the best Christmases of my life, spent with my family and a lot of good food.


And so this brings us up to date. I hope you've all had as good a year as I have. 2013 has been the best year of my life so far, but I've been saying this every year for the past ten years, or something stupid, so I don't know how much it counts for. Tonight, I'm going to a girl's house party. I go to school with her but have never spoken to her which makes it ten times more awkward. I'm a bit reluctant to go but it's probably a lot better than sitting at home alone to welcome 2014.


I hope you all have fantastic nights tonight, whatever you're doing and wherever you are! I'm so ready for the new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment